Tuesday 15 September 2015

Interview with artist Susi Nightingale whose exhibition 'Loose Women' is now showing





This is your first exhibition at the Flavel. Have you exhibited in other local venues?
SN: I have had quite a few exhibitions in the past - in Totnes, Exeter, Bristol, Stoke Fleming, Blackawton and Copenhagen - but not for a few years.

Your work focuses on women and children. What is your fascination with this relationship?
SN: Yes it does - though this exhibition is called 'Loose Women', and I have enjoyed playing around with the concept of loose women and a relatively unfussy painting style. When you strip people of clothing and decoration, we are all the same construction underneath.
I am as interested in the end product as I am in the process of developing art to keep yourself sane.
I feel that we all have a strong connection to art as children, and it is important to keep this connection as you get older - keep your ability to play, enjoy and live in the here and now.

Is working in oil on canvas your preferred medium?
SN: At the moment it is, along with pen and ink and water colours. I like the permanence of oils, and the way you can work with colour for days before they set.
I do like experimenting with different media and have done etchings, lino cuts, batik painting, ceramic work and ink and water colours too.

How do you start with an idea for a painting? Do you sketch first, for example?
SN: I start in lots of different ways: I love life drawing, sketching from real life and then manipulating the image to fit your idea. I might also have an idea in a dream, a concept I wish to get across or equally let a piece of artwork develop in its own way.

You live and work in Devon; how did you come to settle here from Denmark?
SG: Well...I fell in love with an Englishman. We met in Copenhagen and lived there for a while, and then decided to move to Devon. Luckily, I fell in love with his country along the way...

Are you working on any exciting new projects?
SN: I have been working towards this exhibition up to today, so I am quite excited about it.
I am planning to do some more indigo batik work in the next year, and would also like to experiment with making marks on metal. I like the actual plates that you do etchings on, and might experiment with this.

Who inspires you?
SN: I am inspired by the work of Banksy reflecting on our present day society.
Also Anne Mortimer's connection with the natural wild life around her, and Grayson Perry's genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment