Monday 6 August 2018

Monterey Blew Us Away...

All I can say is “Wow”!


 What a brilliant evening we all had at the Flavel  at the recent screening of 
- the iconic film of the 
Monterey International Pop Festival in 1967, directed by 
D A Pennebaker



I came along with eight music-mad pals and we all thoroughly enjoyed our musical trip down memory lane…

   
The auditorium was laid out with candlelit tables which created a fantastically relaxed atmosphere...so much so that the whole audience clapped and cheered after each performance, kind of forgetting that we were actually watching a film!
 
 


You really felt you had been transported back to 1967 and the Summer of Love, and it was wonderful… Well, I guess you could say it was one of those ‘you had to be there’ evenings - and boy were we glad that we were!




My personal favourite was Otis Redding singing ‘I’ve Been Loving You Too Long’ – so haunting and beautiful.





My second choice was the fabulous Janis Joplin singing with Big Brother and the Holding Company, closely followed by the incomparable Jimi Hendrix.
 
  So, so sad that we lost these three fantastic music legends way too soon…



I can honestly say that a good time was had by all of us – in fact we were so blown away by it all that we didn't want it to end, so we all finished the evening with a most enjoyable glass of chilled wine at an outside table at the Platform One bar overlooking the river, just reminiscing and talking music, music, music.

  





The enthusiasm was infectious, so thank you very much lovely Flavel people for creating such a memorable event!
 
 I had intended to come to the screening of ‘A Concert for George’ (George Harrison tribute concert film) last Saturday but sadly events overtook me and to my disappointment I couldn’t make it.


  However, I am looking forward to seeing ‘Whitney’ – a documentary film on her life and career - on August 9th. Full details here: https://goo.gl/chgnTL


 
 So much great music on offer – so little time to fit it all in, but I’m doing my best…. Watch this space!

Info:
https://www.facebook.com/TheFlavel
https://twitter.com/FlavelArts
https://www.instagram.com/flavelartscentre/


 

Guest Blogger Valeria D

No comments:

Post a Comment